[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42428: wp-emoji pops up privacy hanger in Firefox with privacy.resistFingerprinting turned on

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 3 09:56:12 UTC 2017

#42428: wp-emoji pops up privacy hanger in Firefox with
privacy.resistFingerprinting turned on
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  robinwhittleton  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Emoji            |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 This isn’t really a bug, but worth reporting anyway.

 wp-emoji uses a technique that’s often used by trackers for fingerprinting
 clients: reading canvas pixel data. For them, differences in OS and
 graphics drivers can lead to subtle differences when text is rendered to a
 canvas. This means that when they hash data read out of the canvas with
 text on they have another datapoint to identify a client.

 To work around this, Firefox has recently uplifted a technique from TOR
 Browser. If you visit a site that tries to do this it’ll pop open a hanger
 asking for the user’s permission. You can test this by downloading a copy
 of Firefox Nightly, going to about:config and setting
 privacy.resistFingerprinting to true. Which brings us on to Wordpress…

 Unfortunately the default wp-emoji package also uses this technnique,
 which triggers a browser warning on a large number of sites I visit on a
 daily basis. While I doubt that Wordpress is using this for user tracking,
 it means that sites that are being nefarious get lost in the Wordpress
 noise. This is a shame, but also I would imagine that it would be hard for
 Firefox to turn this on by default given the number of sites out there
 using Wordpress.

 What I’d like to suggest is that:
 1) wp-emoji is reviewed to see whether this technique is necessary for its
 functionlity. Can it be updated to use some other technique?
 2) wp-emoji is considered for removal by default. According to the docs
 wp-emoji ‘will convert the often greyscale Emoji characters to colored
 image files.‘ Is this really a problem with the current set of browsers?