[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40149: WordPress password strength checking is improved, but the hint now doesn't help

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 14 00:37:08 UTC 2017

#40149: WordPress password strength checking is improved, but the hint now doesn't
help
 Reporter:  arjenlentz   |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:  4.7.3
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 WordPress 4.7 has vastly improved password strength checking.
 This is great.

 However, the password hint function wp_get_password_hint() provides
 information that's essentially contradicting the approach that the
 password checker uses.
 Mind that the check tool now used (built by someone at Dropbox) takes into
 account that (for instance) random word phrases are easy to remember as
 well as difficult to crack, while using upper/lowercase and letter->digit
 substitution are easy to crack while being more of a hassle to remember.
 Ref also the famous XKCD cartoon on this topic: https://xkcd.com/936/

 What does the WP Core default string read?

 {{{
 'Hint: The password should be at least twelve characters long. To make it
 stronger, use upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols like ! "
 }}}

 Yes we can override this using the 'password_hint' filter, however I think
 it'd be great to provide a better base text for default installs.

 Proposed new text:

 {{{
  'Hint: longer is stronger (at least 12 characters), and consider using a
 sequence of random words (ideally non-English).'