[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40782: When photographer adds MORE INFO data to image, Image Titlle pulls data from MORE INFO and not FILENAME

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 28 19:33:37 UTC 2017

#40782: When photographer adds MORE INFO data to image, Image Titlle pulls data
from MORE INFO and not FILENAME
--------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  tonyzeoli     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by tonyzeoli):

 @dd32 I believe you are making a wildly broad assumption about users who
 manipulate EXIF data before image upload.

 You are assuming tens of millions of people actually know EXIF data even
 exists to override the file name converted to Image Title method. I'm
 going to ask a few teens who run WordPress blogs if they know that EXIF
 data appears in the media library text fields when they upoad using the
 mobile app from their mobile phones. I suspect they don't know or could
 care less.

 You're making an assumption that all users know that all photos have EXIF
 data to begin with.

 And, you're making an assumption that all users should know if EXIF data
 exists it will populate instead of the file name, when millions of users
 are probably not well versed in EXIF and simply upload photos from their
 phones, which generally populate something like IMG001.jpg, which is the
 filename, even if it is also stored in the EXIF fields and becomes the
 matching file name.

 For pro photographers, they may manipulate EXIF data, but nowhere does it
 say in the Media Library that EXIF data is pulled and stored anywhere.
 Once you see that the filename is pulled almost exclusively, you get used
 to the idea that if you change the filename, you populate the Title field.
 It's completely unobvious, especially when a majority of time, it's the
 filename that comes from either the filename itself of the EXIF data
 stored filename, if that's possible.

 Maybe you want to rethink this wild assumption. It's a bit myopic, I
 think. Sorry...just saying.

 This is about usability. WordPress has always been about usability, but
 then someone comes along and says, "hey, we've been doing this for 7 years
 and you should know that," which, quite frankly, ignores everything about
 usability and makes a vapid assumption of user habits with no research or
 studies to back up the statement. It's a bit frustrating to get this
 response, to say the least.

 I've been uploading media files to WordPress for 13-years. This is the
 FIRST time this ever happened to me. There was no way to figure out how
 that data was coming in, BECAUSE NOWHERE IS IT EXPLAINED, or at least
 nowhere where there should be a tooltip to explain why the EXIF is
 overriding the title pulled from the filename.

 Then, you change the filename and reupload and it still populates the
 filename from the EXIF that was set by the photographer taking the
 picture, which you wouldn't know was there if you didn't check the images
 to see if EXIF data exists. Your assumption makes a faulty assumption that
 the tens of millions of WordPress users know if someone added EXIF data to
 an image. If you're a web producer, you're not checking for that...you're
 just trying to get your story live.

 It stands to reason that someone should either fix it OR MAKE IT INSANELY
 OBVIOUS that the EXIF data can override the filename if EXIF data exists.
 If you can provide me with research that says millions of WordPress users
 absolutely understand that EXIF data will override the filename, then I'll
 agree with you. But, I run WordPress Chapel Hill and have spoken at 9
 different WordCamps and at no time have I ever heard anyone tell me this
 is the case. Sure, I can't be everywhere, all the time. Someone may know
 this, but I google'd it and didn't come up with anything.

 Considering I've been a member of the WordPress community since 2005 and
 this one escaped me...well...that says a lot.

 Usability should be the foremost thing on every single core contributors
 mind. This answer pays little attention to usability and makes a decision
 without keeping the user in mind first and foremost.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40782#comment:6>