[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41008: WP_Error wrote instead of category name in wp_options table, category_base field

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 12 12:31:14 UTC 2017

#41008: WP_Error wrote instead of category name in wp_options table, category_base
field
 Reporter:  Neilgaiman    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  4.8
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I just installed Wordpress 4.8, yet I'm not sure it's a bug specific of
 this version or not.

 The issue is documented in the following post:

 http://www.ryadel.com/en/catchable-fatal-error-object-of-class-wp_error-
 could-not-be-converted-to-string-wordpress-fix/

 Long story short, it seems that sometimes (when some errors occurs, in my
 scenario was a I/O error) the category_base value of the wp_options table
 gets filled with a WP_Error json object instead of a category name. This
 raises an exception in the rewrite.php script (line 326) when the function
 tries to use that value against a regex, expecting a string.

 Sadly enough, it doesn't seem easy to reproduce.