[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40676: wpautop adds opening & closing p tags around the opening a tag and around the closing a tag when the link contains certain flow content elements like div, h1, h2...

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 9 09:36:22 UTC 2017

#40676: wpautop adds opening & closing p tags around the opening a tag and around
the closing a tag when the link contains certain flow content elements like
div, h1, h2...
 Reporter:  diegocanal    |       Owner:

Comment (by diegocanal):

 Replying to [comment:4 hlashbrooke]:
 > As a general HTML rule (regardless of whether it's WordPress or not),
 block level elements should never be wrapped inside inline elements. So a
 {{{div}}} or {{{h1}}} should ''never'' be placed inside an {{{a}}} tag. I
 imagine that is why {{{wpautop}}} handles things in this way, as you are
 going against the general HTML standards that are accepted all over the
 web.

 > I'm not on the core team and don't have the requisite knowledge for
 patching this, but I don't think it really warrants a patch as this is not
 a bug, but rather an HTML standard that is being adhered to.

 @hlashbrooke, have you '''fully''' read my initial comment (specially
 "Note 1")? After reading "Note 1", do you still need more arguments to
 make you realise that {{{div}}} and {{{h1}}} can be perfectly placed
 inside an {{{a}}} element? I can give you more.

 I provided arguments –referencing 3 authoritative sources– to support my
 statement, you haven't done the same to support yours. Could you please
 give us something more than "because I say so"?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40676#comment:6>