[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40934: Allow PHP version requirements for plugins & themes
noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 6 20:34:48 UTC 2017
#40934: Allow PHP version requirements for plugins & themes
Reporter: joostdevalk | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone: 4.9
Component: Administration | Version:
Severity: normal | Keywords: dev-feedback
Not all plugins can work on PHP 5.2, like WordPress core currently does.
Not all plugin developers ''want'' to support PHP 5.2, like core does. As
a project, WordPress would like to move forward and have people on more
recent PHP versions. One of the ways to reach that goal would be to show
them that they cannot install a certain plugin or theme because their
install does not meet the required criteria.
As such, I'm proposing to allow plugins and themes to have a minimum PHP
version requirement. Not a maximum, just a minimum. This minimum version
requirement should not mean that plugins should not be shown in the new
plugins screen, for instance, instead, they should be shown but
"disabled", with links to Wordpress.org pages explaining why, and how to
upgrade their PHP.
To do this, the following work would have to be done:
- Plugin header parser changes for minimum PHP version requirement.
- Disallow activating incompatible plugins from plugins list. Mockups
- Add new plugins screen changes for plugins whose criteria do not match.
- Check plugin header on manual plugins installation to prevent fatal
errors. Mockup required for error.
- Plugin readme parser changes for minimum PHP version requirement. Source
- Plugins API changes. Source location:
- Show minimum required PHP version on plugins page. Source location:
- (Optional) Allow filtering plugin directory. Mockups required.
- (Optional) Report PHP version usage per plugin’s users. Mockups
'''WordPress dot org / Codex'''
- Create pages on how to upgrade PHP, preferably with links to specific
instructions for specific hosts
If this gets "blessed" I'll proceed to make individual smaller tickets for
the individual changes.
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40934>
WordPress Trac <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/>
WordPress publishing platform
More information about the wp-trac