[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40199: Customize: collapse suggested and previously uploaded header images with accordions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 31 18:34:23 UTC 2017

#40199: Customize: collapse suggested and previously uploaded header images with
accordions
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by folletto):

 > In i2 I'm unclear on how you go from the Header Media panel into the
 sub-panels for Images and Video.

 They open when the user taps on "Change __" (image or video): the sub-
 panels are the UI to change the content.

 > If I understand properly, it seems to be depicting a new Header Media
 panel and then a section for Header Images and Header Video, but instead
 of the section links on the panel being mere labels they instead have full
 controls?

 ''(We had a chat because I wasn't understanding the full implications of
 this. Summarizing...)''

 Apparently the way the current Customizer API is structured requires a
 sub-panel to have a specific kind of label in the panel that opens it
 (similar to what we have in the main navigation list, or in the widget
 list). This means that we don't have the flexibility to just load the sub-
 panel from anywhere.

 This opens an API consideration for the future: it's important for the
 customizer architecture to be able at some point to "pop in" any sub-panel
 in a programmatic way, from any controller, with a single call, without
 mandating how it should look like. This is how any stack control works
 (see iOS `UINavigationController` from example). This is one of the reason
 we have a lot of customizer screens that try to cram content in a single
 column instead of breaking in sub-panel. It's a fundamental interaction
 that thus require a flexible and simple API. Given the considerations on
 the upcoming Gutenberg tho, it's not valuable to work on this now, as the
 architecture might change radically. It's still worth to point out since
 if even later we end up to load stacked panels, the API needs to be
 straightforward.

 I will thus follow up this issue with a new design that doesn't require a
 rework of the current customizer sub-panel API, making it possible to
 implement this easily.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40199#comment:10>