[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 2 17:49:11 UTC 2017

#40960: Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when
writing” setting
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter            |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by pipdig):

 As a theme shop, we're receiving support requests like this
 http://i.imgur.com/Zq93MNa.png with increasing frequency. Ironically, it's
 not really anything to do with our themes. We don't provide any features
 that require the Text widget.

 It is almost always Adsense or Mailchimp that people are trying to setup.
 I wonder if those services are listing steps that relate to the old
 widget? i.e. It isn't explicitly saying "click the HTML tab" in the guide,
 so people are simply pasting it into the Visual widget contents. This
 might seem really obvious to us, but to the average user it seems to be
 causing quite some confusion.

 I don't know if the solution is to reach out to third parties to ask them
 to update their guidance? Or would it not make more sense to revert the
 widget back so that the majority of guidance does not need to be updated
 by third parties?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40960#comment:32>