[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39746: Suddenly getting error on all of my servers: Unable to locate WordPress content directory (wp-content).

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 31 07:13:41 UTC 2017

#39746: Suddenly getting error on all of my servers: Unable to locate WordPress
content directory (wp-content).
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jobst            |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  4.7.2
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi

 I have now been getting these update errors, I have never had problems
 before. It always worked using ssh2.

 This happened while I was overseas (5 weeks), so I am not sure when this
 started - but before I went ALL of my servers (CentOS 6.8 with php 5.6,
 all latest patches) where still able to update.

 Suddenly I started getting "could not update wordpress" as I have
 automatic updates setup, now I can update some machines, some I cannot.

 I thought I try one of the servers (the development server) with latest
 php 7.1, maybe that gets rid of that problem - it did not solve the issue,
 so I went back to the original php install.

 What is really strange I have a development server/install of one website
 on a different server as the main server. Both installs are identical (as
 in core/plugins/etc) The main server I can happily update the wordpress
 site using ssh2, the development server I cannot update the wordpress site
 anymore - the ONLY difference is the domain name. Both servers run the
 nearly the same software (the development machine has a few more yum
 packages) both OS and web-environment are the same, they even have the
 same php.ini file.

 When I change the development server from FS_METHOD=ssh2 to
 FS_METHOD=direct it works (after updating the file permissions), but I do
 not like this as the files need to be write-able by the user running the
 server, with ssh2 I can have different owner and group which is way more
 secure.

 I too have another wordpress install that I cannot update. I know that all
 settings/keys/permissions etc are correct as it USED to work.

 Help please!