[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 16 02:25:14 UTC 2017

#39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and
ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  mkormendy          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by mkormendy):

 I don't quite understand what you're attempting to state with regards to
 the DB time. If the time is stored as a string based on an retrieved
 date() call, it will be incorrect because WordPress hijacked the entire
 PHP timezone, that's a problem.

 There isn't a problem with applications choosing to base their methods in
 a UTC timezone. BUT, the fundamental problem I see is that WordPress
 hijacks the entire timezone for the underlying PHP processor for the rest
 of any further intermingled scripted processes, especially when other PHP
 applications running in the same script process may rely on defaults in
 php.ini.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39595#comment:4>