[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39839: Permissions processed differently between REST API and UI access causing 403 error

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 10 19:03:49 UTC 2017

#39839: Permissions processed differently between REST API and UI access causing
403 error
 Reporter:  reldev        |       Owner:

Comment (by jnylen0):

 I've tested this using a few different test users with roles
 `administrator`, `author`, and `contributor`.  All permissions to read my
 own or another user's post behave as I would expect in both the API and in
 wp-admin.

 Are you sure you're logged in as the same user account in both wp-admin
 and the REST API?  I'd suggest visiting your user profile in wp-admin and
 doing a request for `/users/me?context=edit`, and comparing the results.

 There could also be a misbehaving plugin causing this issue.  Have you
 tried from a fresh install of WP?

 For future reference, it's really helpful to provide links to places in
 the WP code, rather than just files and line numbers.  Line numbers will
 change over time, making the ticket information invalid, and it is much
 easier to follow the flow of a ticket if I don't have to stop and look up
 lots of different places in the code.  For example:

 - https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.7.2/src/wp-includes/rest-
 api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-posts-controller.php?marks=1274#L1256
 - https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.7.2/src/wp-includes/rest-
 api/class-wp-rest-server.php?marks=902#L894

 I think both of these checks in the API are correct... if a user is trying
 to read a post, then we need to perform the appropriate capabilities
 check.

 Neither of the wp-admin capabilities checks you referenced (for example
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.7.2/src/wp-
 admin/includes/post.php?marks=1309#L1289) appear to be relevant to the
 core flow of editing a post.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39839#comment:1>