[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42725: Introduce gender compatible translation function, and gender user profile field

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 4 16:31:43 UTC 2017

#42725: Introduce gender compatible translation function, and gender user profile
field
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  yoavf        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by grapplerulrich):

 Thank you @yoavf for creating the ticket. I think it is a good idea.

 One small thing that I saw when looking at the code is that ` if ( !
 function_exists( 'wp_get_current_user' ) ) `should not be needed in
 `get_current_user_gender()` unless the function is not being loaded in
 certain senarios. In that case it would be best to document that.

 I am not trying to tear down your work or increase the scope of the change
 but make sure we think of the different angles.

 The changes suggested here would not yet fix `Lead Developer` as the text
 is provided by an API.

 It would be good to get a list of strings that would need to be changed so
 that we can see what other places need changes too. One place comes to
 mind is the REST API. Do we need to pass a value to define the gender of
 the person?

 > For simplicity purposes, g() assumes English will remain gender neutral,
 and so only takes one string as input. I'm happy to reconsider and let it
 have an optional three string input.

 It depends on what type of text strings we use. What confused me is the
 explanation of the dropdown: "Female: She published a new post.". A plugin
 or theme developer may want to use he or she if the user can choose from
 the drop-down. If we keep English gender neutral the setting will do
 nothing in English.

 I found this PDF which covers the gender pronoun.
 https://www.ccsu.edu/lgbt/files/PreferredGenderPronounsForFaculty.pdf

 What we do need to think about is how people who are not informed about
 gender identification understand the option too.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42725#comment:13>