[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40199: Customize: collapse suggested and previously uploaded header images with accordions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 18 23:14:06 UTC 2017

#40199: Customize: collapse suggested and previously uploaded header images with
accordions
-------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions   |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => needs-patch close

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:9 westonruter]:
 > @melchoyce I'm unclear of where else in the Customizer this would be
 applied.
 For WP_Customize_Media_Control and all children, with an instance
 parameter (my thought was to call it `library`) for controls that want to
 opt-in to facilitating switching between various previously-used settings
 for a control. Site icon (#32861, where a tab in the media modal or a
 slide-out panel are the most recent suggestions) and background image are
 probably the only other core controls that should opt-in.

 I would encourage an exploration into other UI options such as the add-
 widgets fly-out panel, which may be more appropriate in terms of API
 convention. Regardless, the implementation of the current approach should
 be done as new functionality that happens within a control object as
 opposed to using a `section`. Single-`control` `section`s are discouraged,
 as the purpose of a section is to group multiple controls together.
 Rather, this should be implemented as a more complex `control` and can
 provide the illusion of sliding into another visual "panel" (like the add-
 menu-item control, particularly on mobile), use a modal, or potentially
 take a more inline approach to expanding to show additional items.

 All of this should probably be happening in #36581 if we want to actually
 fix it. #36581 is an absolute prerequisite to doing this, at a minimum. I
 thought there was an additional distinct ticket to extract the library
 functionality back to the base controls, but that seems to be #36581 as
 well. Previously: #29211. This ticket was for an interim solution and can
 be closed (or the summary and description rewritten) if we go with the
 full fix, which it sounds like there's interest in doing. The quick fix
 being to hide the images as a space-saving measure, rather than improving
 the functionality more broadly. Any improvements to header images need to
 coincide with allowing those improvements to apply to all media controls,
 which will be straightforward once #36581 is complete.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40199#comment:17>