[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41536: Text widgets don't show editor anymore, only expand to show delete/close options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 3 00:21:41 UTC 2017

#41536: Text widgets don't show editor anymore, only expand to show delete/close
options
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  sseepuri           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by westonruter):

 Replying to [comment:5 sseepuri]:
 > @westonruter - I switched to Twenty Seventeen and it got rid of the
 errors and the text widget now shows the tinyMCE editor. But the existing
 widgets all lost the text that was in the widgets earlier. Also, some of
 the sidebars being used in our custom theme became inactive when I
 switched to 2017, but when I switched back they're still inactive. Is that
 a known behavior?

 The widgets assigned to a sidebar are essentially tied to the active
 theme. When you switch to a different theme, the widget configuration for
 a theme is saved for the old theme so that when you restore the theme the
 previous widget configuration is restored. So you should see the widgets
 with the text you were expecting placed under Inactive Widgets. This
 experience is slated to be improved as part of #39693.

 > But I tried the nightly wp release locally and it fixes the issue using
 our custom theme (I still see those errors in the dev console, but the
 text widget now works fine with the tinyMCE editor). So I guess I'll just
 wait for the next release - when is that going out?

 The WordPress 4.8.1 release was just pushed out today. I don't think the
 changes in this release will resolve the issue you are having, however.
 But it would be helpful to confirm on a test environment.

 If you can send me your custom theme on WordPress Slack that would help me
 to diagnose what is causing the problem. Otherwise, you can email me a ZIP
 of the files over email via `temp-trac-wp-core-41536 at xwp.co`.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41536#comment:6>