[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40486: Twenty Seventeen: Logic for translated strings in connection with Screen Reader text can be improved

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 19 17:45:27 UTC 2017

#40486: Twenty Seventeen: Logic for translated strings in connection with Screen
Reader text can be improved
 Reporter:  Presskopp    |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  I18N         |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 There are 2 strings including:

 {{{
 screen-reader-text"> "%s"
 }}}

 1)
 {{{#!php
 Continue reading<span class="screen-reader-text"> "%s"</span>
 }}}
 &

 2)
 {{{#!php
 Edit<span class="screen-reader-text"> "%s"</span>
 }}}

 In german (as an example, I assume this happens too in other languages)
 the syntax for 1) needs to be reversed like that:

 {{{#!php
 }}}

 2) gets:
 {{{#!php
 }}}

 which is correct for Screen Reader Users, but it should rather be
 capitalized in both cases so the button text doesn't start lowercase, see
 screenshot.

 https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-
 themes/twentyseventeen/de/default?filters%5Bterm%5D=screen-reader-
 text%22%3E+%22%25s%22

 We could now capitalize the strings in translation, but there must be a
 better solution!?

 PS:
 Yes, the quotation marks in our translation also needs a little attention,
 but that's not part of the ticket ;-)