[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding controls (desktop and mobile)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 28 21:17:21 UTC 2016

#27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding
controls (desktop and mobile)
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Partials should definitely be the mechanism for associating elements of
 the preview with settings/controls and linking them together. We can add
 properties to `WP_Customize_Partial` for things like icon and/or label
 once we finalize the UI.

 If done properly, themes should be able to implement this fully within the
 PHP API, with all of the JS happening internally/automatically, similarly
 to how selective refresh works. The partial's selective refresh response
 could potentially pre/append the markup needed for the buttons
 automatically, although that part should probably be off by default with a
 flag set when registering the partial. Core add-theme-supports (menus,
 widgets, custom logo, possibly others) would support it out of the box for
 any theme (although themes would need to ensure the CSS is compatible, but
 if possible we should make every effort to give all themes some support as
 the customizer does in general).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27403#comment:31>