[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 25 23:11:10 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:39 ThemeZee]:
 > But I'm a really huge fan of adding a CSS Editor to the Customizer.

 This is not a "CSS Editor". I don't even thing such editors exist. The
 closest to an editor is the "console" in the browser. It shows the HTML on
 one side and the CSS on the other. It also shows the current styles and
 selectors, has autocomplete, error highlighting, instant preview, and so
 on. I don't think the customizer can come even close.

 > I often provide CSS snippets as long as it is only some small visual
 customizations the user wants.

 This sounds as a good way to test something or provide a temporary fix.
 But will be pretty bad user experience if you don't take all these
 snippets into account when you release updates for your themes.

 > I do not agree that users should not make CSS customizations. They can
 not break anything here like with the Theme Editor. The WordPress Backend
 will always work fine, and if they do not like their customizations they
 can always remove the CSS code.

 Yes, having "undo" when adding CSS hacks would be helpful, but also sends
 the message that CSS hacks are okay. I don't agree with that. If the users
 want to do something, we should encourage them to do it "the right way".
 In this case that is a child theme.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:41>