[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 20 20:50:53 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 One of the big challenges here is ensuring that the customizer preview
 remains an accurate representation of the customized state of the front
 end of the site. There would need to be a way to indicate being "done"
 with the dummy content and hiding it to see what you'll actually get
 before you can save and publish, or the dummy content that hasn't been
 customized would need to be written to the database to ensure that what
 the preview shows when you "save and publish" is what the front end would
 then show. Any divergence between the preview and the front end detracts
 from the value of the preview's usability as an accurate representation of
 the site.

 If the solution here makes use primarily of the customizer preview, then
 this ticket should be in the customize component. If it impacts
 significant other areas (ie in the admin), then themes would make sense.
 We might have a better idea after the initial research. If we go the
 customize preview route, we should consider leveraging customizer partials
 as the mechanism for defining the fallback content.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:1>