[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 11 17:08:20 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing needs-   |  javascript
  user-testing                       |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Thanks for the detailed feedback @afercia!

 1. There are two customize buttons after the featured section has loaded,
 and the one in the current theme control is focused when re-opening. We
 need to update the selector for the initial focus in the panel to be
 unique to the top button.
 2. Does anyone else have feedback on "Customize" meaning to go back to
 customizing the current theme?
 3. Good idea. Maybe a link at the bottom of the panel, floated right, with
 the text "Back to customize"? This will also show up when there are no
 themes or themes are loading.
 4. Maybe we should remove the click handler for expanding the search
 section?
 5. The search handler needs to ensure the search section is expanded on
 keyup, which would also make 4. work.
 6. Search is debounced to 800 ms. We could bring it down to 500 to match
 elsewhere. It's so high because we start loading up to 100 themes as soon
 as it's called, so I want to make sure we minimize extra hits there.
 7. See 6.
 8. With #38021, we should be able to standardize to only using `input`
 here.
 9. Quick fix.
 10. Good idea.
 11. Good idea.
 12. `<# if ( data.actions['delete'] ) { #>` should check for
 `data.actions` first in `tmpl-customize-themes-details-view`.
 13. Fixed by 12.
 14. Escape is collapsing the section; we should have it collapse the panel
 directly.
 15. Escape is collapsing the section; if details are open it should
 collapse the details modal instead.
 16. Easy fix.
 17. It's because there's a larger tap target here. We could move the focus
 to `:before` and make it smaller but wouldn't this also make it easier to
 see? Or is consistency better?
 18. For some reason this isn't happening within the custom panel. We'll
 need to migrate the logic from other sections and panels over.
 19. This is inherited from theme-install.php and, yes, could use some
 work. Does anyone have design ideas for the filter bar on mobile other
 than continuing the floated links approach?
 20. Quite the contrary :)

 I can make those changes later this week unless anyone else is interested
 in tackling some of them sooner. Also need some design decisions as noted
 in the list above.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:28>