[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34391: Harden panel/section UI code by removing contents from being logically nested (read: goodbye margin-top hacks)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Sep 10 00:01:05 UTC 2016

#34391: Harden panel/section UI code by removing contents from being logically
nested (read: goodbye margin-top hacks)
 Reporter:  westonruter              |       Owner:  delawski
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned
  feedback                           |  javascript

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 I tested the patch and it works well for me. I've done an initial pass
 through the code but want to dig in deeper to make sure I fully understand
 the scope of the changes.

 The biggest backwards compatibility red flag is that [object]`.container`
 will work much differently, and in most cases should be changed to
 `.content`. We'll need to do everything we can to alert theme and plugin
 developers of this change, and should search the theme and plugin repos
 for `extends WP_Customize_Section` and `extends WP_Customize_Panel` to
 alert specific authors, in addition to a make/core post.

 @delawski could you take a look at the patch on #37661 and gauge how
 drastically that custom panel and section would need to change to account
 for the changes here? The sections need to be nested within the panel
 markup, but section headings are separated from content there. I don't
 think any 3rd parties will have changes this drastic, but I want  to make
 sure it's feasible to update if there are any.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34391#comment:35>