[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17771: URL-encoded comment_author_url gets broken by MySQL varchar 200 length limit

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 2 12:27:11 UTC 2016

#17771: URL-encoded comment_author_url gets broken by MySQL varchar 200 length
limit
---------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  tenpura              |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect (bug)         |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by dshanske):

 What we need is something to store in comment_author_url to indicate that
 it is too large and we stored it elsewhere.

 The suggestion was a short URL. However, for an outside site, we might not
 get one of those. Since there are functions for retrieving the URL, we
 could have those check and replace if too large. However, many people
 access the comment array on retrieval directly.

 comment_author_url is overloaded in its use to be the pingback url storage
 location to begin with. Doesn't make it easy to determine what the right
 course of action is. Comment meta didn't exist when this started.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17771#comment:13>