[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 25 01:08:24 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:  helen
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by helen):

 Replying to [comment:23 westonruter]:
 > Assuming that we have the data format in place to represent a set of
 dummy content (values for customizer settings, stored in a PHP array
 containing localized strings), is there a UI in mind for how the
 dummy/initial content would be selected?

 I'm imagining no UI (in core) - themes choose from a selection (which can
 be extended, but I would think that for .org themes they should be
 discouraged from doing so) that best showcases that theme. This perhaps
 disadvantages "do it all" themes, but I don't think that's a bad thing. :)

 > Also, should dummy content settings be able to override any existing
 settings that may already have values in their site? This is particularly
 a question for non-theme mods such as the static front page. If a user is
 showing latest posts on their homepage, should dummy/initial content be
 able to override this to supply a front page? I should think so.

 So - possibly/probably, but later. Because I'm not thinking of much/any UI
 for this in core, I'm not sure it would be wise to allow that right away,
 as you'd likely want to prompt a user in a "this theme works best with a
 static front page, try it out?" sort of fashion. It is a huge hiccup in
 the theme set up process though, so if it seems like a reasonable thing to
 tackle once we have a basic swing in place, I'm up for it. See #19627.

 > The way I envision this would work is that some of the content _would_
 get injected into the database when needed, but it wouldn't be persistent.
 In other words, if posts/pages are included in the initial/dummy content
 then these would get created on the fly with the auto-draft status and
 only transitioned to publish if the changes are saved/published. If not,
 then these auto-draft posts would get garbage-collected after a week as
 normal.

 Sure, I was oversimplifying to make the point that it should not be
 something where activating a theme changes the content of your site
 without your explicit approval first :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:25>