[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38315: Implement a new Highlight button in tiny MCE using the semantic <mark> html tag

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 20 17:21:33 UTC 2016

#38315: Implement a new Highlight button in tiny MCE using the semantic <mark> html
tag
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  hugobaeta              |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by iseulde):

 I'm not sure if introducing this for everyone is a good idea. There are
 not a lot of cases where this markup should be used.

 > The mark element represents a run of text in one document marked or
 highlighted for reference purposes, due to its relevance in another
 context.

 See https://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/mark.html.

 So this should only be used if you want to mark/emphasise some text that
 you extracted from somewhere else, like a piece of a block quote. Think
 about the case where someone adds the text "emphasis (is) mine". `<mark>`
 is exactly for that. It is also used for things like search, where the
 search term is emphasised in all extracts. I'm a bit afraid that people
 will start using it for other things as well because they desire the
 effect, but not the semantics. Is there a way we can make this clearer?
 Should we maybe only enable it inside quotes?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38315#comment:20>