[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka "dummy content")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 17 16:17:19 UTC 2016

#38114: Make it easier to visualize where to put your content in a given theme (aka
"dummy content")
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:  helen
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by helen):

 * owner:   => helen
 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 Here's my general thought that was hashed out in a meeting a while back
 (sorry to take so long to document it here):

 Core should provide a variety of content for theme authors to choose from.
 This would include things like media (hosted on .org perhaps?), business
 contact/hours for a text widget, sections of a multi-panel homepage, and
 so on as determined as necessary. We should look at default themes and
 perhaps a couple other very popular themes to see what kinds of content
 would best help those showcase their potential.

 Some reasons for core providing a set of content are:

 * Not adding (much) to the theme review tasks.
 * A consistent experience for users as they preview/try out themes.
 * Encouraging authors to best showcase their themes with content that
 inspires users, not put them off with advertising.
 * Potentially be able to teach a bit about using WordPress through that
 content (e.g. instructions on editing/managing multi-part homepages).
 * Provide translated/localized content in a sane way, and have a wide
 enough contributor base that the content is broadly understandable and not
 (too) culture-specific.

 I think if we're smart about how we choose to implement this, the same
 content can be used to populate and do some amount of set up for .org
 previews even in their current state.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38114#comment:20>