[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38315: Implement a new Highlight button in tiny MCE using the semantic <mark> html tag

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 15 01:45:54 UTC 2016

#38315: Implement a new Highlight button in tiny MCE using the semantic <mark> html
tag
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  hugobaeta          |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  new
Component:  TinyMCE            |    Version:
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, accessibility  |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 In #27159 we're discussing how some buttons in TinyMCE generate non-
 semantic html. Part of the proposal there is to remove the `underline`
 button because it inserts non-semantic inline styles in our database
 entries: `<span style="text-decoration: underline;">`.

 The HTML Mark Element (<mark>) represents highlighted text, i.e., a run of
 text marked for reference purpose, due to its relevance in a particular
 context. There's more information here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-
 US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/mark

 This new buttons should appear next to strike-through/del (since that
 grouping affects inline relevance - strong, emphasis, delete, mark).

 New icon is needed as well as a patch before we can do some user testing.