[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38305: wrong permalink structure return by get_permalink() when switching blog in WPMU

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 13 18:45:49 UTC 2016

#38305: wrong permalink structure return by get_permalink() when switching blog in
WPMU
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  5um17               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by 5um17):

 Replying to [comment:1 flixos90]:
 > I don't think this is something we should take care of at this point.
 Using `switch_to_blog()` switches the currently active site state/scope,
 that includes the permalink structure. In my opinion, what you're
 describing is expected. I'm curious what's the use-case for switching to
 another site for receiving the permalink of the current post.

 > I don't think we can reliably switch the current post when a site is
 switched, also it would add (for most cases) unnecessary overhead to the
 switching site process. Therefore I tend `wontfix` for this one.

 I am sorry I think I did not explain the problem very well. And you only
 replied to the post script. Here I am reporting two cases

 1. Inconstancy of page and post URLs. (I did not test this with CPT)
 2. A better solution when using `get_permalink()` without ID in MU.

 The actual issue for which I marked this ticket as bug is a wrong
 default permalink and main site has `%postname%` then value is return in
 subsite is `%postname%` format which leads to 404. On other hand if I am
 on single page the URL is correct.
 This is inconstancy!

 The second one is kind of enhancement while using `get_permalink()`
 without ID, WP really don't know what should be the return value. Because
 global values are set to current blog query not the one I switched to.
 So it can be better may be do not return the permalink at all without ID?
 Because you switched to another blog and query is unknown. Just IMHO.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38305#comment:2>