[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31517: Customizer: show a notice after attempting to navigate to external links in live previews

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 8 15:28:42 UTC 2016

#31517: Customizer: show a notice after attempting to navigate to external links in
live previews
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  designsimply             |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:   => has-patch needs-testing
 * owner:   => westonruter
 * status:  new => accepted
 * milestone:  Future Release => 4.7

Old description:

> The Customizer only allows you to click internal, front-end links within
> a preview to navigate to URLs you can customize:
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/wp-admin/js/customize-
> controls.js#L2110
>
> Clicking on an external link from the live preview pane fails silently.
> To help avoid confusion, we could display a notice to alert when someone
> clicks on an external link in a live preview:
>
> > ⚠ You can only preview internal, front-end links in the customizer.
>
> Here is a past description of how a customizer notice could work from
> @westonruter: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30677#comment:7
> (different use case, but the part about how the alert might work is
> relevant)
>
> #29098 provides a general mechanism for sending back error
> codes/messages.

New description:

 The Customizer only allows you to click internal, front-end links within a
 preview to navigate to URLs you can customize:
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/wp-admin/js/customize-
 controls.js#L2110

 Clicking on an external link from the live preview pane fails silently. To
 help avoid confusion, we could display a notice to alert when someone
 clicks on an external link in a live preview:

 >  You can only preview internal, front-end links in the customizer.

 Here is a past description of how a customizer notice could work from
 @westonruter: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30677#comment:7
 (different use case, but the part about how the alert might work is
 relevant)

 #29098 provides a general mechanism for sending back error codes/messages.

 This has been implemented in the patch for #30937.

 When a link is not previewable it will get a `cursor:not-allowed` style
 and `wp.a11y.speak()` will be called to accessibly notify that it cannot
 be live previewed. Likewise, when attempting to submit a form that is not
 live-previewable (if it uses a `POST` method or has an `action` that
 points off of the site) there will be be the same `cursor:not-allowed`
 style added to the `form` and all of its `inputs` with a similar non-
 previewable message output via `wp.a11y.speak()`.

 Please test: `grunt patch:https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-
 develop/pull/161`

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31517#comment:7>