[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 6 21:45:27 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing ux-feedback           |

Comment (by karmatosed):

 I took my husband through a user test today as wanted to see what it was
 like from a basic user view point. It had some interesting results as you
 can see here: [https://make.wordpress.org/design/2016/10/03/help-user-
 test-the-new-themes-in-customizer-experience/#comment-24765].

 A few takeaways that I think we need to consider:
 - I think we found a bug. When you select Install after viewing the
 details in window, you get on current patch hanging loading. It just goes
 on and on, it does install but it never closes the window or stops
 spinning.
 - The various color spinners is tricky to work out and a bit of a weird UI
 experience:

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/ttkN_RKLJQ.png, 50%)]]
 - Visually the grid of themes is very complex. That's something we should
 be aware of and in future iterations consider giving more space to. For
 those people with reading issues and visual problems, such a dense
 experience may not be optimal.
 - There was a lot of confusion over 'Install' and 'Install and Preview'. I
 almost want to suggest we simply have 'Install' and 'Preview' as separate
 links. Seeing someone struggle over this made me feel we have not got it
 right currently.
 - He commented directly we should be more direct with our language in what
 we're asking users to do. That was interesting and an area we probably can
 tighten.

 My husband reported the experience wasn't very friendly. This to me says
 we need to iterate on this, which I think we know. In the next release of
 this we should look at refining this experience and make it delightful
 over functional purely.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:74>