[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38962: REST API: Don't delete posts/links when deleting/removing a user from a site in a multisite install

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Nov 27 20:04:01 UTC 2016

#38962: REST API: Don't delete posts/links when deleting/removing a user from a
site in a multisite install
--------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90       |       Owner:

Comment (by jeremyfelt):

 Replying to [ticket:38962 ocean90]:
 > If we don't want to handle removing users via the DELETE route we may
 have to think about disabling the route for multisite.

 I kind of like this idea.

 From the "[https://github.com/WP-API/WP-API/issues/789 Deleting an item
 should always delete an item]" discussion, `DELETE` = trash, `DELETE
 ?force=true` = delete.

 With users in single site, there is no trash, so we only handle delete.

 Users in multisite are associated with individual objects - sites via
 capabilities, posts via authorship - and cannot be trashed or deleted on
 an individual site level.

 Possible roadmap:

 * 4.7 (this ticket) - Restrict the current `DELETE` route for users to
 single site.
 * 4.8 - Provide a way for `update_item()` via `PUT` to remove the site
 capabilities for a user and remove object (post) associations. Require
 `reassign`.
 * 4.8 - Create a global route for deleting a user, accounting for the case
 of multiple networks.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38962#comment:1>