[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 7 20:15:55 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Re: [comment:125] I am willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen
 if it's an option. The biggest bugs were patched before the revert, there
 are a few minor CSS tweaks for items noted above, and the other big issues
 seems largely tied to .org improving search on that end. I know that
 @folletto would be willing to do a quick iteration on the checkmark
 concept if there's consensus that it's not working - it could simply be
 replaced with reusing the left border style, for example. And improving
 the installing/loading screen to provide more indication of progress is
 also a quick fix.

 Re: [comment:127] this is not an appropriate place to discuss this in
 detail, but the short version of my concerns is that concern over the
 feature's readiness was expressed publicly only a day before it was
 actually reverted, the "supporting opinions" for the readiness gauge
 largely focused on easily fixable bugs, patches for two of those bugs were
 submitted prior to the revert and blatantly ignored, other reasons for
 reverting go well beyond what this feature could ever hope to address, and
 the potential to make changes on the .org side was brought up right before
 the revert despite months of requests for feedback. The new experience
 here does improve the experience significantly while working within the
 constraints of .org, and usability testing published on make/design
 supports that. I contribute because I use WordPress regularly and want it
 to be better for myself and others that use it. I'm well aware that
 features aren't always ready and who's responsible for making those
 decisions. I also know that I personally won't agree with every decision,
 and that should be expected. But the lack of a due process is primarily
 why this particular decision has significantly impacted my motivation to
 contribute currently. I can discuss this directly if anyone feels that
 that would be productive.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:128>