[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 4 23:21:12 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Two of the three tickets linked above were patched before [39140] was
 committed. The third is due to inconsistent documentation. Abruptly
 deciding to pull something without allowing any opportunity to improve
 things or even bring it up in a weekly dev chat is ridiculous. Had I been
 asked to provide patches for outstanding bugs (one of which never even
 received a ticket), I would have gladly done so sooner - this was my
 highest priority for core for the past 4 months. However, I've been
 helping out with a number of other 4.7 projects in the meantime while
 waiting for feedback here. If something is broken on mobile why was that
 never reported before? A significant amount of time was spent designing
 and implementing a mobile experience and
 [https://make.wordpress.org/flow/2016/10/01/customizer-browse-install-
 preview-themes-on-mobile/ the flow was even documented on make/flow]. This
 feature is in much better shape than many other new features currently in
 trunk and has been requesting feedback for much longer, receiving very
 little until the past 24 hours.

 The goal of this project has never been to fix the broader problems with
 finding a theme. It's been to fill a functionality hole that prevents
 users from discovering that you can even install themes besides the
 defaults. The experience in 4.7 beta 1 is significantly better than what
 was in 4.6, despite its quirks, and user testing has been published on
 make/design to support that. Issues with finding a theme here apply
 equally to the other theme installer in the admin, and most of the
 comments above are issues that have no direct correlation to filling the
 functionality hole in the customizer.

 [39140] also immediately introduced worse bugs in trunk. There are no
 screenshots and everything shifts around when hovering currently. Besides
 the missing functionality and discoverability, does this really seem
 better than what shipped with beta 1, and after applying the patches on
 #38365 and #38663?

 The way that this has been handled is frankly disrespectful and insulting
 to me, to the point that I am unlikely to contribute further until
 whenever a version of this is back in trunk. If there are issues with a
 feature during beta, report them and work through them, '''then''' if they
 can't be resolved consider a revert. Don't skip straight to that step
 without providing any chance to make improvements, especially when the
 primary concerns are easily fixable bugs and other concerns go beyond the
 scope and intent of the changes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:124>