[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for sidebars/widgets (for now)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 17 18:12:16 UTC 2016

#35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for
sidebars/widgets (for now)
----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 It could actually work to do selective refresh opt-in on a per-sidebar
 level. For example, if a theme with multiple sidebars can easily support
 selective refresh for one, but needs more work for another, they could add
 support just for the one sidebar for now.

 I almost lean towards making it opt-out and making a big push to educate
 theme developers about how to address any issues, like with nav menus.
 There were some issues there, as there will be here, but I'm concerned
 about getting adequate adoption unless there's some aspect of forcing
 themes to adjust. There are plenty of reasons not to do that as well,
 though.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35855#comment:39>