[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for sidebars/widgets (for now)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 16 23:17:25 UTC 2016

#35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for
sidebars/widgets (for now)
----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by davidakennedy):

 I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of either of these options. Those
 are:

 1. Opt in : Themes aren't potentially broken but we have yet another
 `add_theme_support()`.
 2. Opt out: Themes are potentially borked but we don't have another
 option.

 Neither is elegant and worry-free, but I think I understand where we're at
 right now. I don't think it's fair to potentially break a lot of themes
 when there hasn't been much warning or visibility on that potential
 breakage. So I would side for an opt in with the `add_theme_support()`. I
 dislike it, not just for the reasons Obenland mentioned in
 ticket:35855#comment:24, but also:

 * It adds another option themers need to think about.
 * It's not something that seems very black and white, and easy to grasp
 why you may need it, unless you're familiar with the Customizer already.
 So it may be misunderstood or misused by some.

 I do like the idea of making this default after a reasonable time period
 so themers can adjust accordingly.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35855#comment:36>