[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for sidebars/widgets (for now)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 16 22:14:13 UTC 2016

#35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for
sidebars/widgets (for now)
----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by westonruter):

 Replying to [comment:31 karmatosed]:
 > I will fully admit to not liking the path we seem to be going down a bit
 of 'put it in the theme'. Any amazing feature should be amazing enough to
 not require themes to add code to support it. If it's truly good for all
 then it should be. I get that is a rather idealistic perspective though.

 Note that `postMessage` transport previewing of changes in the Customizer
 is also an amazing feature, but themes all have to add explicit support
 for that as well. So it is a similar situation.

 > I assume we need to patch at least one default theme because of this
 too.

 Yes. This is included in [attachment:35855.1.diff] and Twenty Sixteen via
 https://github.com/WordPress/twentysixteen/pull/430

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35855#comment:33>