[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35022: WP allows Unicode 0x00a0 spaces in editor but shortcode parser can't handle them

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 16 20:26:37 UTC 2016

#35022: WP allows Unicode 0x00a0 spaces in editor but shortcode parser can't handle
them
 Reporter:  steevithak    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by steevithak):

 @chriscct7 @johnbillion  I've grabbed the trunk source and started working
 on this. Looking back at prior versions of WP, I'm a bit baffled by some
 of the current code in shortcodes.php. Just a few version back, say in
 4.2.2, the code is very elegant and compact with a single regex that
 identifies shortcodes. That one regex in get_shortcode_regex() is loaded
 by other functions in shortcodes.php that need to identify or parse
 shortcodes. But in the latest shortcodes.php, there several different
 methods being used to parse short codes. Some functions still use
 get_shortcode_regex() but other functions now use their own, slightly
 different regexes. (one of the functions already handles unicode non-
 breaking spaces indirectly by replacing them with 0x20 spaces prior to
 running the regex.) Where can I get more information on the rational
 behind these changes? Is there a developer mailing list or forum thread
 someone can point me to that might clue me in to why these changes were
 made in recent versions? There must be some reason for using multiple
 different methods of parsing shortcodes in different places and without
 understanding why, I'm afraid I may break something else while fixing the
 non-breaking space issue. :(

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35022#comment:14>