[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak and maybe other keyboards

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 16 19:28:15 UTC 2016

#35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak
and maybe other keyboards
 Reporter:  thomask      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened
  (bug)                  |   Milestone:  Awaiting Review

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:13 spocke]:
 > It seems hard to find a keyboard combo here that works:

 Yeah, and it is made even worse by the Windows emulation of AltGr on some
 keyboard layouts. Even when using "US International", pressing the Right
 Alt sends Ctrl+Alt to the browsers...

 I'm thinking we should probably start adding custom keyboard shortcuts
 only for some locales, where they are tested and proven to not conflict
 with any quirks in the keyboard layouts. Of course that shouldn't affect
 the "default" shortcuts: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, etc.

 I agree the custom shortcuts are very handy (for people that take the time
 to learn about them), but considering the "situation" with conflicting key
 combinations, they can be very annoying too.

 What would be the best way to handle this in TinyMCE: perhaps a setting
 for each custom shortcut that takes the key combo string or `false`? Then,
 if not set, add a predefined key combo for some locales only? Looking at
 TinyMCE core, there are only 9 custom shortcuts, for the Block Format
 drop-down. Then few more are added by plugins.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35932#comment:14>