[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36717: Allow to access network and site properties using the current naming conventions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 29 19:40:07 UTC 2016

#36717: Allow to access network and site properties using the current naming
conventions
--------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90            |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jeremyfelt):

 Replying to [comment:38 westi]:
 > The changes in this ticket feel pretty unnecessary and fragile and
 likely to break a number of requests on any site using a caching backend
 because we are going to cache things the old code can't uncache.... in a
 nasty way - you end up with WP_Site instances that re-initialise out of
 the cache without a blog_id.

 As of [37874], `get_blog_details()` should be in a position to repair
 itself if it encounters a `WP_Site` object without `blog_id`. Is that not
 working or part of what feels fragile?

 > I'm not really sure why it was really important to make this backwards
 incompatible change which makes reverting _hard_ on large installs and
 breaks things in imaginative ways when it goes wrong.

 > The fact that this broke the WP.org install should have been a hint to
 revert it rather than patch over the cracks IMHO.

 I hear you. It was a hint originally, and we definitely discussed it
 several times. But I decided we could be in position to catch the error
 and resolve it rather than revert. If it's too fragile, I have no problem
 making those properties public again.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36717#comment:41>