[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34384: No way of preventing image_get_intermediate_size from returning cropped image

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 16 20:44:45 UTC 2016

#34384: No way of preventing image_get_intermediate_size from returning cropped
image
--------------------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  pputzer                               |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)                          |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by joemcgill):

 the thumbnail fallback check which had the effect of always bypassing the
 fallback. However, it turns out that the only time the fallback
 ‘thumbnail’ gets returned is when the size array requested is smaller than
 the dimensions of the thumbnail size, otherwise, we return `false` when no
 images matching the requested ratio are found.

 This makes me wonder if we should remove the fallback altogether and let
 people who are relying on this functionality (which I suspect is a very
 small number of people) fix it themselves using available filters.
 However, [attachment 34384.9.diff] keeps the current fallback behavior and
 adds an additional unit test to make sure we are retaining the fallback
 behavior.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34384#comment:13>