[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37282: Lower down the duration of Recycling a deleted site address and make it to some days instead of 2 years.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 5 03:35:40 UTC 2016

#37282: Lower down the duration of Recycling a deleted site address and make it to
some days instead of 2 years.
 Reporter:  pabitrapati  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 1. Create an user and a new blog site (pabitrapati.wordpress.com).
 2. Deleted the same user site.
    -  No confirmation mail received regarding deletion of User site.
 3. Now, after two days, while I wanted to create a new site with same site
 address(i.e. pabitrapati.wordpress.com), this was not available.
 4. I tried checking, if it has been acquired by any user, but it was not
 (Refer SiteAddress.jpg).
 5. But, it also didn't allowed me to create a new site with the same
 address.
 5. I posted the same in the forum and came to know that for re-using a
 deleted site, it takes 2 years ( refer https://en.support.wordpress.com
 /recycling-blog-names/).
 6. Also, there is no way that an user can recover the deleted site.

 Observations :-
 - Since, there is no way, user can do anything about a deleted site, hence
 there is no point in blocking for so long duration of 2 years. So this
 needs to be lower down to 5 -10 days at max.
 - Rather, this makes users to move some other site to create their blog
 site where they find the desired blog address.
 - Also, no email confirmation for blog site deletion is sent to the user,
 neither there is a provision to recover the deleted blog address.
 - However, 'Web Address' section in user's 'Account Settings' section
 shows the same address (pabitrapati.wordpress.com). Refer WebAddress.jpg