[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35529: Updating to 4.4.1 causes new pretty permalinks for media to break existing permalinks

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 26 13:23:40 UTC 2016

#35529: Updating to 4.4.1 causes new pretty permalinks for media to break existing
------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  nyodulf           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by nyodulf):

 A bit later than promised, but I ran the sequence above with the following
 changes:

 1. Starting with an older version of WP (core.svn/branches/4.0.9 in this
 case)
  * '''Set permalink structure to `/%postname%/`'''
 1. Upload a media file directly to the media library with a simple name
 "picturetest.jpg", which auto-titles as "picturetest"
 1. Create a page with a matching title (e.g. "picturetest" which auto-
 slugs "picturetest")
 1. Update to latest via dashboard
 1. In the media library, the image has a slug displayed of "picturetest".
 The link displays the page, not the attachment page.
  * On the page-edit screen things are quite strange; Visually the page's
 "pictureset" in the browser status bar. So at this point, both items are
 actually pointing to /pictureset/, but the page is displaying the wrong
 info in the permalink.
 1. Updating the '''page''' updates the slug to "picturetest-2"

 So in this version, the page's permalink is now broken, as per my original
 post. I don't know if it's specifically to do with setting the permalink
 structure before the update, but either way it's russian roulette as to
 how this process turns out, depending on which sequence you follow.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35529#comment:7>