[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35529: Updating to 4.4.1 causes new pretty permalinks for media to break existing permalinks

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 21 00:38:14 UTC 2016

#35529: Updating to 4.4.1 causes new pretty permalinks for media to break existing
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  nyodulf           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by nyodulf):

 @kraftbj - I mostly followed your procedure on a fresh install;
 differneces in bold:

 1. Starting with an older version of WP (core.svn/branches/4.0'''.9''' in
 this case)
 1. Upload a media file directly to the media library with a simple name
 "picturetest.jpg", which auto-titles as "picturetest"
 1. Create a page with a matching title (e.g. "picturetest" which auto-
 slugs "picturetest")
 1. Update to '''latest via dashboard'''
  * '''Set permalink structure to `/%postname%/`'''
 1. In the media library, the image has a slug displayed of "picturetest".
 The link displays the page, not the attachment page.
  * '''On the page-edit screen things are quite strange; Visually the
 page's permalink is set to "pictureset-2" but hovering over it shows just
 "pictureset" in the browser status bar. So at this point, both items are
 actually pointing to /pictureset/, but the page is displaying the wrong
 info in the permalink.'''
 1. Updating the media attachment updates the slug to the expected
 "picturetest-2"
  * '''Updating the media attachment updates the visual display of the
 ''page'' slug to the expected "picturetest"'''

 I realise this is different to what I originally posted. I'm sorry that I
 can't remember what the difference in the procedures between them was,
 that created the incorrectly functioning slug for the pre-existing page.
 It's possible that it was because the permalink structure was already set
 up, whereas this time I set it up after the update. I will test that
 tomorrow.

 It does seem that something is amiss at the moment. As there is no way to
 bulk-update media items, this could result in a lot of broken media

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35529#comment:5>