[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for sidebars/widgets (for now)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 25 18:01:54 UTC 2016

#35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for
sidebars/widgets (for now)
----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:  dev-feedback => needs-patch
 * status:  reviewing => accepted

Old description:

> (The following description is stale. Instead of adding a method to
> determine whether Selective Refresh is active, it can instead be always
> active but specific components can opt-in for support as required:
> specifically widgets.)
>
> The working ticket for the [https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016/02/16
> /selective-refresh-in-the-customizer/ proposed] Selective Refresh feature
> for the Customizer is #27355, where, once merged, a bunch of WET code
> will be merged that checks for selective refresh support.
>
> Namely, `isset( $this->manager->selective_refresh )` is used to choose
> between the 'postMessage' and 'refresh' transports in a bunch of
> different places.
>
> In speaking with @westonruter, seems like a
> `WP_Customize_Manager::is_selective_refresh_enabled()` method or similar
> might be in order. I opted to create this ticket for discussion so as not
> to hold up the pending merge.

New description:

 Instead of adding a method to determine whether Selective Refresh (#27355)
 is active, it can instead be always active but specific components can
 opt-in for support as required: specifically widgets.

 Currently `isset( $this->manager->selective_refresh )` is used to choose
 between the 'postMessage' and 'refresh' transports in a bunch of different
 places.

 Instead, there can be specific theme support and widget opt-in for
 selective refresh. See code in the original Widget Customizer plugin for
 reference: https://github.com/xwp/wp-widget-customizer/compare/without-
 partial-previews

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35855#comment:10>