[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35495: Allow `get_terms()` to return all terms, make `$taxonomy` parameter optional

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 20 10:37:47 UTC 2016

#35495: Allow `get_terms()` to return all terms, make `$taxonomy` parameter
optional
--------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90                  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new
Changes (by swissspidy):

 * keywords:  has-patch => has-patch has-unit-tests
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => Future Release

Comment:

 Thanks for the patch! I was already mentally preparing myself to dive into
 this, glad I don't have to now :-)

 The logic looks good, though `$args = array(), $legacy_args = ''` sounds a
 bit confusing. Can't we just name this parameter `$deprecated`, so that
 it's clear you should really only use `get_terms( $args )`?

 > `return new WP_Error( 'invalid_taxonomy', __( 'Invalid taxonomy' ) );`

 Is it possible to pass `$taxonomy` here, to make it obvious which taxonomy
 is invalid?

 Also, could we perhaps use `array_filter()` for these `taxonomy_exists()`
 and `is_taxonomy_hierarchical()` checks? It should be just as fast and a
 bit cleaner to read.

 ----

 Note: We may still change the milestone to 4.5 if we get a commit-ready
 patch

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35495#comment:7>