[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39188: Wrapping paragraph tags around 'Read More' link stripped out of custom post type

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 8 19:42:55 UTC 2016

#39188: Wrapping paragraph tags around 'Read More' link stripped out of custom post
type
 Reporter:  yogaman5020   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Formatting    |    Version:  4.7
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 My Genesis child-theme modifies the 'Read More' link in posts and custom
 post types by stripping out the 3 dots (hellipsis) after the link text,
 changing the text string, and adding styling attributes. The anchor link
 is wrapped in a set of p-tags.

 When I updated WordPress Core in my local development environment from
 version 4.6.1 to 4.7, the wrapping p-tags were stripped out, and the
 anchor tag wrapping the 'Read More' link slid up into the preceding
 paragraph of text.  The padding added to the paragraph tags wrapping the
 link disappeared, and the link styling became in-line to the preceding
 paragraph text (not what I wanted).

 I was able to install a fresh copy of my local dev site and then reran the
 WP Core update, reproducing the problem. I'm not sure why the wrapping
 paragraph tags are getting stripped out.  For now, I can work around the
 problem by running WP v4.6.1, which is not an optimal, long-term solution.

 To see an example of how the 'Read More' links are supposed to appear,
 visit [http://alb.spiralwebdb.com] and view the custom posts on the front
 page under 'Practice Areas'. A screenshot of the displaced 'Read More'
 links is attached as a PNG file.