[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38954: Customizer: Increase preview refreshBuffer (perhaps with decay) when making rapid changes such as via text inputs (was: Customize Menus: menu item property previewing is not debounced)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 5 20:15:01 UTC 2016

#38954: Customizer: Increase preview refreshBuffer (perhaps with decay) when making
rapid changes such as via text inputs
------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:  reporter-feedback => needs-patch

Comment:

 I think what we can do is generally implement a decay-throttled
 `refreshBuffer`, so that if you make one text change (e.g. paste in a
 value) the preview will be updated after 250ms like currently. But then if
 you make a second update within 1 second of the previous, then the 250ms
 refreshBuffer could be lengthened to 1 second, and perhaps this delay
 could keep growing until the user ceases to make a change for X seconds.
 The logic for how the decay would grow needs to be worked out, but I think
 this could be a great general-purpose solution both for full- ''and''
 selective refreshes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38954#comment:6>