[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36569: Remove Link button in Visual Editor needs to be disabled when cursor isn't over link

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 18 16:51:26 UTC 2016

#36569: Remove Link button in Visual Editor needs to be disabled when cursor isn't
over link
 Reporter:  ahortin       |       Owner:
Changes (by azaozz):

 * keywords:   => ux-feedback

Comment:

 This is the TinyMCE default behaviour. The problem is that in some cases
 it is hard to detect when:
 - Part of a link and some text are selected.
 - A link is in the middle of the selection.
 - More than one link is selected.
 - Parts of two links are selected.

 In these cases running the contentEditable `unlink` command will properly
 remove the link(s) however it may fail to enable the unlink button. Also
 note that TinyMCE doesn't use the unlink button any more. Links can also
 be removed by editing them and deleting the URL.

 I'm on the fence if we should be changing TinyMCE's default. We can easily
 disable the button on loading and only enable it when the caret or the
 selection is in an `<a>` node. That will leave it disabled in the above
 four cases.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36569#comment:3>