[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34322: set_transient and get_transient don't seem to be working for some users since WP 4.3

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 19 03:57:28 UTC 2015

#34322: set_transient and get_transient don't seem to be working for some users
since WP 4.3
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  smashballoon        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by smashballoon):

 Thanks, I've read through that thread a few times before and although it
 seems related it only references get_transient not deleting broken
 transients any more, which I don't think should be causing this issue. As
 far as I can tell nothing has been changed which should prevent the
 following script from working:

 {{{
 <?php
 $transient = get_transient( 'test_transient_expiration' );

 if( ! empty( $transient ) ) {
   echo 'From Database. Last updated: ' . json_decode(
 json_encode($transient) )->headers->date;
 } else {
   $facebook_data = wp_remote_get(
 'https://graph.facebook.com/cnn/posts?access_token=ACCESS_TOKEN' );
   set_transient( 'test_transient_expiration', $facebook_data, 1800 );
   echo 'From URL. Last updated: ' . json_decode(
 json_encode($facebook_data) )->headers->date;
 }
 ?>
 }}}

 We use the same code in our plugin, and we've had lots of different users
 report an issue with it not working on their sites anymore. I've even
 logged into a few sites and set this exact script up on a blank test page
 and the transient will continually return as true and never expires unless
 manually deleted using delete_transient.

 I know this probably isn't a particularly helpful bug report but I wanted
 to report the issue in case someone was able to replicate it or
 experienced the same problem. For now I'm going to try and come up with an
 alternative solution for caching the data instead of relying on
 set_transient and get_transient as I have been up until now.

 John

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34322#comment:3>