[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one item

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 15 16:40:16 UTC 2015

#34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one
item
 Reporter:  johnbillion               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 We also need to keep in mind gettext tools with these changes, for
 example, the gettext spec and PO/POT files don't have the provision for
 having both a one, singular, and plural form.

 We could of course parse out `_blah( 'one', 'singular', 'plural' )` into
 two strings (one, and the plural form) but that feels weird to me,
 especially since those strings wouldn't be related to one another when it
 got to the other end in the translation tool.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34308#comment:5>