[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of Responsive Image support

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 9 20:14:29 UTC 2015

#34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of
Responsive Image support
-------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DH-Shredder  |       Owner:  DH-Shredder
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Shapeshifter 3):

 Replying to [comment:14 mor10]:
 > Replying to [comment:12 melchoyce]:
 > > Replying to [comment:9 DH-Shredder]:
 > > > If you are a user, and you change theme, does having a size named
 `content-width` suggest that WordPress is (or should be) regenerating
 their `content-width` images for the new theme?

 > > Yeah, that's what I'd assume. Would be cool if we could do it. :)
 >
 > IMO that is one of the requirements for Responsive Images to make sense
 in WordPress. We must supply the theme with an image sized to the theme,
 and when the user swaps themes, that size must be regenerated.

 For what it's worth, I've been through 12-15 Themes (free and commercial)
 in the past 3 years adding to the same content (Featured Images and
 Videos). My current method of uploading images is to crop the largest that
 I find so that it is center-focused regardless of the Theme size that I am
 using. I have been a very strong believer in Mobile First Web Design which
 is based on design created from the "bottom up". That said, I'm of the
 opinion that Images (particularly Featured) should be uploaded from the
 "top down". Let the end user upload an image 1200 px or larger in the
 beginning, and then let the RICG Responsive Image Plugin integration take
 it from there.

 Example: I currently have two themes installed on this site:
 https://shapeshifter3.com/. I upload a 1200px x 700px featured Image using
 the Kelly Theme by Automattic, center focus it by cropping, and then use a
 Child Theme of Twenty Thirteen to display. The second theme uses the
 Masonry layout where the images are much smaller.

 The reason I do it this way is to allow me to switch back to Kelly or any
 other Full-Width Display Theme whenever I want to WITHOUT HAVING TO RESIZE
 MY FEATURED IMAGES AGAIN. If, I had chose a smaller image in the beginning
 and then tried to expand it...it may end up looking crappy.

 So...my idea is to start with the largest size possible within coding and
 server requirements, in order to have the least of possible problems with
 imagery if I decide to switch themes again.

 Hope this didn't sound stupid, but I'll side with mor10 more than any
 other opinion here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34196#comment:20>