[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31696: Better select, multi-select, and autocomplete/suggestion inputs in the admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 8 17:55:36 UTC 2015

#31696: Better select, multi-select, and autocomplete/suggestion inputs in the
admin
 Reporter:  section214               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new
  ui-feedback                        |  administration, performance

Comment (by westonruter):

 Just wanted to note here that along with improving the scalability of the
 dropdowns for users (#19867) and (#9864) this is also keenly needed for
 categories (`wp_dropdown_categories()`) and any such taxonomy term
 listing. I've been working on a site with thousands of categories, and
 because the number is so large it is very difficult to navigate the
 dropdown. But the even worse thing is that the large category list started
 killing the PHP process due to the memory limit overrunning. So I
 implemented an Ajax lazy-loading of the entire category list to solve this
 later problem, but the better solution would be to combine it with Select2
 and provide an autocomplete UI. I'm sure this has all been discussed
 before :-)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31696#comment:19>